Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pilates for Triathletes

My classes are coming together now,  it is so enjoyable watching people connect mind and body

I also have my ever willing guinea pig, Peter, my husband who is an Ironman Triathlete with back problems, well, actually not quite as much since he started doing Body Control Pilates. 

It is very difficult getting someone who  trains so hard, and so much to slow down and fully appreciate all the benefits Body Control Pilates can bring.  But, I have a convert, his swimming has improved, rotation is much better, tight backs only happens once in a while, and that's mainly when he skips his BCP routine.  All in all a very happy man who hasn't missed a run in 3 years.

We are going to work more on some of the classical moves to strengthen his core, and improve his scapular stability.  During an Ironman race the rider sometimes gets off the bike looking like a question mark,  better alignment and posture would certainly be advantageous on the marathon portion of the race.   Just look around, how many people do you see who seem to have their shoulders glued to their ears, it's no wonder shoulders, upper back and neck problems are on the rise.

Try Body Control Pilates find out how to correct alignment, improve posture, and get more out of everyday living and playing.

1 comment:

  1. I had completed numerous Ironman Triathlons, Marathons and various races up to 2005 and increasingly found back pain limiting not only my ability to race, but to actually finish the events.
    Finally in 2006 I had to stop. I had numerous therapies that seemed to work but only temporarily. Christine at Tri-pilates persuaded me to give her Body Control Pilates a try. She showed patience in view of my jaundiced eye, concentrating on flexibility and core strength. It was worked so well I was able to complete the 2009 Disney Marathon. With my new found flexibility and stronger core I have now entered Ironman Wisconsin 2010.
    Thanks Chris for pain free Swimming, Biking and Running

    PD

    ReplyDelete